Monday, May 30, 2011

Meeting my host family tomorrow....

Today has been a great day!  That is saying something considering it started at 7am for me and I am definitely not a morning person haha.  I've loved having breakfast at this four star hotel because I actually get a well rounded meal.  Maybe the only one I get all day.  I had to cut breakfast a little short though because I needed to change into jeans because it was supposed to rain and be cool all day.  I should have known that the weather wouldn't be exactly accurate but it still worked out having jeans when it finally did get colder.  The rain today was ridiculous!  I hope everyone back in Texas gets to see rain clouds like I did today sometime soon.  We went to Merida today which has much more Roman influence than any other Spanish city I've seen so far.  It was amazing!  I'm always interested in Roman ruins because it's amazing to me that some structures have literally lasted thousands of years.  The ones we saw today were just beautiful and breath-taking.  We got to see an amphitheater where gladiators fought and a beautiful theater with tons of beautiful marble.  We also saw a Roman dam that is still in use today.  Can you imagine structures that are built today lasting two thousand years?!?  We also got to see a modern dam and kind of compare the two.  It was very interesting from an engineering standpoint.  Other than seeing all those amazing structures, there wasn't much else we did today.  Pray for me tomorrow because I am very nervous about meeting my host family.  I really want them to know at least SOME English, but if they don't, I will survive!
Love and miss y'all =)

 notice the structure inside the Roman ruins.  I believe a noble built her house there.
 Roman ruins
 Amphitheater 
 Pretty statue
 marble in the theater
 beautiful theater
 another marble statue
 these are toilets if I am correct (I'm 95% sure) and you can see underneath a crevice that water ran through to take away the nasty stuff
 Roman Aqueducts 
 The second dam we saw (notice the rain in the background)

another view of the dam / mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment